Welcome to Focus on Energy's Smart Thermostat Incentive ProgramAPPLICATION SUBMISSION PROCESS
STEP 1: Check eligibility and requirements listed below.
STEP 2: Purchase a qualifying smart thermostat at a participating retail location or through an online retailer.
- If your qualifying smart thermostat was purchased through and installed by a heating and cooling contractor or home automation contractor, you may qualify for an incentive through our Heating and Cooling Offering. To apply, complete the online application.
- To submit your smart thermostat incentive application, you will need the following items:
- Name of electric utility (for installation site) and electric utility account number.
- Name of gas utility (for installation site, if applicable) and gas utility account number.
- Smart thermostat device information (brand, model, serial number, date).
- Digital copy (photo) of smart thermostat receipt.
- Review the status of your application: Once you submit your application, you will be able to track its status.
Eligibility and Requirements
- This online application is for qualifying smart thermostats purchased from a retailer or online retailer and that can be self-installed in a single family or multifamily dwelling.
- The smart thermostat must be installed to use with the home’s primary heating source for the home’s living space:
- Homes with natural gas furnace: must be a customer of participating natural gas and electric utilities.
- Homes with natural gas boiler: must be a customer of a participating natural gas utility.
- Homes with an air-source heat pump: must be a customer of a participating electric utility.
- Homes heated by liquid petroleum gas or a geothermal heat pump are not eligible.
- You must be a customer of a FOCUS ON ENERGY® participating utility.
- The smart thermostat must:
- Replace an existing thermostat that does not qualify for program rewards.
- Be Wi-Fi capable.
- Be connected to the internet.
- Offer the above features without additional devices.
- Be ENERGY STAR® certified.
- There is a limit of one incentive per home heating system and of two per household. The thermostat must be connected to your home’s primary heating source.
- Your installation of a smart thermostat is only eligible for an incentive if purchased new and unopened. A device that is resold, leased, rebuilt, refurbished, damaged, rented, received from insurance claims, received from a manufacturer warranty, or won as a prize does not qualify.
- Focus on Energy Qualifying smart thermostats purchased through Focus on Energy's Online Marketplace already offer instant savings and are not eligible for an additional incentive through the Focus on Energy's smart thermostat incentive program.